Monday, October 8, 2012

Introducing Colbi Jean

Well Baby Girl is 2 months today and I have had such good intentions of introducing her... but somehow time has gotten away from me and I am just barely sharing her with the world. 

Our sweet daughter was born  on August 13. I think I have an impatient little girl on my hands because she decided to come about 5 weeks early. Well that's not totally true, I guess the doctor decided she needed to come that early. I guess that's not really true either, as i guess my body decided she needed to come early or it was going to throw a tantrum. EITHER way, it was quite a surprise and we were slightly extremely unprepared. 

August 13th went a little like this: I woke up in the middle of the night with a horrible headache. This was the 3rd night in a row this had happened, and I wasn't a huge fan of it. Tyson had to leave for work at like 6am but he was up long before then being the sweetheart he is and rubbing his pregnant wife's shoulders. After he left, I took a shower and got ready for the day and sat on the couch staring at the clock. I was impatiently waiting for it to be 8 o'clock so I could call my doctor and see if I could get in to see her today on account of feeling like I had been run over by a train. 8 o'clock came but I found out that my doctor's office was closed that day (go figure) but the nice lady on the phone found me another doctor that my insurance would take so that I could get checked out and make sure everything was okay. I called that doctor, but unfortunately they couldn't get me in until around 2pm. 

Well, I'm not that patient, so I got to the doctor's office around noon. I only had to sit in the waiting room for about 45 minutes feeling like I was going to die before the doctor could see me. When they took my blood pressure, it was obnoxiously high ( I dont remember exactly what it was then but somewhere around 175/95- not good). I have never had high blood pressure in my life, even during this pregnancy so this really scared me. The doctor checked me and said I wasn't dilated or effaced  at all but I needed to head over to the hospital to get monitored. His parting words were "Who knows? You might even have this baby a little early."

I went out to my car and called Tyson at work to sob to him how I had to go to the hospital and I told him what the doctor had said (At this point I thought that by "early" the doctor still meant in a few weeks). I think my crying elevated my blood pressure even more though because I started kinda losing my mind. literally. It was terrifying. I couldn't figure out how to close the car door. But when I finally did, i still thought it was a good idea to drive myself to the hospital. Granted the hospital was only a few hundred feet away, but still! I somehow found the parking garage, but then my mind wouldn't tell me how to decipher where a parking spot was. I drove in circles and finally just decided to put the car in park. I walked up to the hospital but couldn't find the entrance...that I was standing right in front of. I called Tyson again totally freaked out. I guess I scared him enough for him to leave work and borrow his friend's car to come be with me to get "monitored" at the hospital. After walking aimlessly around the hospital, someone took pity on me and walked me up to the L&D unit. I got there, changed into a gown, and got strapped to a few machines. 

Tyson arrived shortly after that and was just in time for the doctor to come in and give me the news that I had developed preeclampsia and that it was pretty severe. She told me that I had 2 options, to try to induce me or to have a c-section. After telling me that, she said I was most likely "uninducable" and that actually wasn't really an option. Well great! C-section it was. They prepped me for surgery and Tyson called both of our parents to tell them what was going on. I then was praised when I vomited up my breakfast because apparently surgery isn't good to do when there is food in the stomach. Go figure.

They wheeled me in the operating room and gave me an epidural. Everyone in the operating room was really nonchalant about everything and were just carrying on normal conversations. I think this really helped me not freak out. Honestly though, I hadn't quite wrapped my head around the whole thing yet. Tyson came in wearing scrubs and they told us that we were going to be parents in less than 10 minutes. They started the procedure and Tyson decided that not only would he like to watch them cut into me, he would like to take pictures on my iPhone of the whole thing. Thanks honey?

At 4:10pm I hear my little girl scream and they lift her up over the blue sheet so I can see her. My little girl didn't seem very excited to us and I couldn't really see her with the the bright lights shining in my eyes and the who-knows-what dripping on my face. Then they whisked her and Tyson away and I just laid there getting stitched up and trying to comprehend everything that had just happened. I got wheeled into some recovery room where some very mean nurse stabbed me multiple times trying to get another iv in me and then starting me on some magnesium something-or-other that was supposed to protect my brain from having seizures. All it did was make me very loopy. and sleepy. and I don't remember much of the rest of that day/night. 

The next morning was very hazy too. I remember being given a picture of my little girl who didn't have a name. A picture. Well gee thanks! And then when I wanted a glass of water and maybe some breakfast, they reluctantly brought me some ice chips. Best ice chips ever. And then I slept and slept. 
Sometime that afternoon they asked if I wanted them to bring in my daughter...i really wonder if any mom has ever said no to this. Seemed like a dumb question to me. I was already jealous that Tyson got to go visit her in the nursery and feed her! I mean, come on!  This wasn't fair!.

My new baby and I stayed in the hospital for 4 days before we were released. This gave us time to finally settle on a name. We decided to name her Colbi Jean Marostica. We had referred to her as Colbi almost as soon as we had found out she was a girl but I'm not sure if either one of us really had planned on naming her that...After she was born, nothing seemed to fit her as perfectly as Colbi did, so it stayed. Her middle name Jean came from Tyson's sweet Grandma who passed away earlier this year.

Colbi was 4lbs 8 oz when she was born and 18 1/2 inches long. So tiny. But we were relieved to find out that she didn't have any problems. She is perfect :) She didn't even have to stay in the NICU. 

Although Colbi's birth didn't go as planned, I am so grateful for how smoothly everything went and that our precious little girl is healthy and strong.

These pictures of our sweet Colbi were taken when she was just a couple weeks old by one of my wonderful friends, Katelin Sabbah.


  1. Jayne,

    This is such a crazy story. From the perspective of a mother and a nurse! I'm so glad everything turned out well. Love that little one! They get big so fast.

  2. Wow Jayne that is an incredible story! I am so happy for you that everything went well and your little girl is an angel. Congratulations to you guys, and her name is adorable!